Bloomberg) — Waymo, the autonomous vehicle unit owned by Google parent Alphabet Inc., is taking more office space in San Francisco.
The company is subleasing more than 48,000 square feet (4,460 square meters) at 555 Market Street in the city’s financial district from Uber Technologies Inc. Waymo already has space in the Bayview neighborhood, while Google has several offices in the city.
The new lease for Waymo is a vote of confidence for an office market that has been slower to rebound from the pandemic than other major U.S. cities, with technology employers embracing remote and hybrid work. While Google has maintained its space in San Francisco, many other tech companies have sought to offload millions of square feet they previously leased.
“We’re excited to expand into this new beautiful space right on Market Street,” Boris Sofman, the head of trucking and perception at Waymo, said in a statement Wednesday. “Our teams will return to the office in a variety of modes from full to hybrid to remote over months to come, and this new space will allow us to support not only our growing operations in San Francisco but also globally.”
Waymo, widely considered the technical leader in autonomous driving, has been offering fully driverless taxi rides in Arizona for the past year. Yet the company’s expansion elsewhere has moved slower than industry expectations and its earlier plans.
In August, the company began opening taxi services to select passengers in San Francisco, but those rides will include a safety driver at the wheel. The company has also announced a partnership with J.B. Hunt Transport Services Inc. to work on autonomous trucking in Texas.
Alphabet was an early investor in Uber. But in 2017, Waymo sued Uber and accused the company of using trade secrets for its self-driving program taken from a Waymo engineer, Anthony Levandowski, who had moved to the ride-hailing company.
The companies settled the following year, with Uber agreeing to pay Waymo $245 million.
Market’s ‘negative’ response to Saudi Building Code is temporary
The recently amended and implemented Saudi Building Code has slowed down the market, but experts and stakeholders see this downturn as a transitory period.
Ali Al-Saif, CEO of Tabuk Cement Co., said the negative impact is temporary and once the sector overcomes teething issues, the new regulations will have a positive impact on the construction sector.
Saudi Arabia’s Commerce Ministry amended the code last Friday to streamline the mechanism governing penalties against violators. It came into effect on Oct. 15, according to the Umm Al-Qura newspaper.
SBC National Committee General Secretary Saad bin Shuail told CNBC Arabia in an interview that the effective implementation of the amended code would guarantee the quality of buildings and construction work.
The SBC is a set of legal, administrative and technical regulations and requirements that specify the minimum construction standard for buildings in the Kingdom to ensure public safety and health.
The codes apply to all construction works in the public and private sectors, whether new buildings — including their design, execution, operation, maintenance and any changes — or existing ones that undergo renovation or expansion work.
Recently, the SBC National Committee announced the establishment of a training academy to offer courses in building code design and the operation of safety solutions to enhance building code conduct in the Kingdom.
The academy’s mandate includes safe design, building code awareness, implementation, and educating people on safety and loss prevention through the building code’s successful implementation.
Bin Shuail said: “The academy is planned to be set up within one year. The Saudi Building Code Committee will establish the SBA in line with the Vision 2030 program.”
Subscription for Egypt’s e-finance IPO closes
The subscription period for the initial public offering of Egypt’s e-finance for Digital and Investments ended on Sunday.
The period started on Oct. 10, with a maximum price of $0.89 per share.
The state-owned company is offering 1.61 percent of its shares to the public, or 25.78 million, in the transaction that is expected to reach 3.6 billion Egyptian pounds ($229 million).
Last week, e-finance raised the percentage of the institutional offering to 23.5 after a strong demand for subscription.
PIF to use oil platforms to attract tourists through ‘THE RIG.’ project
Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund on Saturday launched “THE RIG.”, first-of-its-kind tourism destination inspired by offshore oil platforms.
Located in the Arabian Gulf, the project will span a combined area of more than 150,000 square meters, said a statement issued by the sovereign wealth fund.
#PIF announces “THE RIG.” Project.
The world’s first tourism destination inspired by offshore oil platforms.
— Public Investment Fund (@PIF_en) October 16, 2021
“THE RIG.” will feature a number of touristic attractions, including three hotels, world-class restaurants, helipads, and a range of adventurous activities, including extreme sports, the PIF said.
The PIF said to ensure sustainable preservation of the environment, the project will follow global standards and best practices in line with the Kingdom’s efforts to ensure preservation of environment.
The project is in line with PIF’s strategy 2021-2025 to modernize Saudi Arabia’s tourism and entertainment sectors and introduce innovative ideas to boost the number of local, regional and international tourists in the Kingdom.
Entertainment is expected to be a key driver for Saudi economic growth over the next four years.
In addition to the new entertainment centers announced by the PIF, a number of other high-profile projects are underway, including the Qiddiya Entertainment City, The Red Sea Project, AMAALA, AlUla, King Salman Park and Riyadh Sport Boulevard.
The retail and hospitality sectors are expected to benefit from the entertainment boom with total retail space in the capital expected to reach 3.5 million square meters of gross leasable area by 2024. By 2024, Jeddah’s retail market is expected to witness considerable supply growth, reaching over 2 million square meters.
As of 2019, the Kingdom received about 59 million tourist trips and these figures are expected to continue to increase to 100 million tourist trips by 2024.
The Saudi entertainment and amusement sector is forecast to be worth $1.17 billion by 2030 and grow by a massive 47.65 percent per year, according to recent industry report.
The US-based Research and Markets study said that the growth compares with just $23.77 million in 2020.
Falcons auction in the Gulf continues to set records
The global “economic paralysis” catastrophe is monitored from space by NASA
About 900,000 dollars, the price of the end of a romantic relationship in the Emirates between a young man and a girl older than him
Turkish Chef Burak restaurant closed in Dubai
Monica Bellucci on the cover of Vogue with her daughter Diva
Wegovi medicine is a revolution in the treatment of obesity…. Information you must know before using it
Mix10 hours ago
Teeth and remnants of candy in a child’s ear… A doctor is surprised by an unexpected situation in his career
Sports10 hours ago
video of the Congolese women’s team angers “FIFA” and football players
Mix10 hours ago
Newlyweds from India brave the flood and go to their wedding inside a floating cooking pot
Mix10 hours ago
Private rooms for crying in Spain
Mix10 hours ago
You can throw your mobile phone as you like…Scientists have developed “self-healing” screens
Mix10 hours ago
Instagram bug monitoring in the USA
Arabic and international23 hours ago
Turkey shifting Syria strategy after Kurdish militia’s attacks
Mix22 hours ago
Lebanon has the most expensive McDonald’s menu in the world